24 Hour Knox Private Emergency Department
In an emergency, always call ‘000’ first
Knox Private Emergency Department 1800 KNOX ED (1800 566 933)
Open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, our brand new Emergency Department is purpose built with enhanced technologies and state of the art equipment. Led by Dr Raja Barua, our Emergency team of doctors and nurses are high experienced with specialized emergency training so you know you are in the very best hands.
As a patient to our Emergency Department, you will have access to our:
- Rapid assessment and triage
- On call specialist doctors across all specialties 24 hours a day
- Full range of medical and surgical emergencies 24 hours a day
- Comprehensive cardiac and chest pain services including Echocardiography and immediate access to our Catheter Laboratories and operating theatres
- 15 operating theatres
- Coronary care Unit/ Intensive care Unit
- Nuclear Medicine
- Onsite Radiology including X-ray, Ultrasound, MRI, CT Scan, PET Scan and Nuclear Medicine
- Onsite access to pathology and pharmacy
Emergency Department Features
- 24 treatment spaces
- State of the Art Resuscitation bays
- Isolation room for infectious diseases
- Short stay treatment spaces
- Parking for emergency patients and visitors is located above the emergency department with lift access to reception
- Our emergency department treatment spaces are designed to provide privacy and reduce outside noise.
24 hours, 7 days a week, 365 days a year
|Address||262 Mountain Highway, Wantirna VIC 3152|
|Phone||1800 KNOX ED (1800 556 933)|
For a travel map, click here.
What to bring
- Medicare card
- Photo Identification (e.g. driver's license)
- Private health insurance details/card
- Pension card (if relevant)
- Healthcare card (if relevant)
- DVA (veterans affairs) card (if relevant)
- ID of refugee status (if relevant)
- Correspondence from your GP or other medical professional which may be relevant
- Current medications or prescriptions
When you arrive
- One of our skilled Emergency trained nurses will take a brief history. They may also perform a brief physical examination
- If your condition is assessed as high priority, you will be taken directly to a treatment bay for further assessment and treatment
- If your condition is assessed as less urgent, clerical staff will collect further personal information from you before you are reassessed
- You will be reassessed as soon as possible by another nurse before being assessed by a doctor
- The doctor will carry out a detailed assessment of your condition and organize additional investigations if required to make a diagnosis and will decide on the most appropriate treatment options for you
Following assessment by the doctor, if you require treatment or surgery you may be admitted as an in-patient to Knox Private Hospital or an appropriate Healthscope Hospital including Bellbird or Ringwood Private.
If you are well enough to return home our treatment notes will be sent to your GP.
Will my GP know about my presentation?
With your consent, your GP and other relevant treating doctors will be sent a medical report (including investigations and relevant treatment) within 24 hours of your leaving hospital.
This provides vital information to assist your doctor with ongoing management.
Initial consultation fees
A $320 presentation fee will be charged for your attendance at our Emergency Department.
Medicare and Private Health Insurers do not cover the cost of seeing a Doctor in an Emergency Department.
Note: The presentation fee may not be charged for a consultation of a patient if they return with a medical condition related to a recent Knox Private emergency department attendance or Healthscope hospital admission within a 7-day period.
Outside of this presentation fee there may be additional costs associated with radiology, pathology and specialist doctor consultations, which may also be partially reimbursed by Medicare. More information is available at the Emergency Department reception.
We advise members of private health funds with questions regarding whether your private cover qualifies for reimbursement after ED treatment to forward any queries to your health insurance fund.
Fees for international patients
A presentation fee applies to international patients. International patients who don’t hold a valid Medicare card will incur higher fees. Other associated fees must be paid up front.
HPS Pharmacies is conveniently located in the main foyer of the hospital on the ground floor.
9.00am to 6.00pm from Monday to Friday
9.00am to 4.00pm Saturday and Sunday