Information for GPs
Direct Surgical/ Medical Admissions
Contact our Intakes Officer on 03 9210 7460
For an updated copy of our specialist directory please contact our GP Liaison team via email
Could that email please go to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Psychiatric Advice & Consultation Service
Call 0447 136 726
A service for GPs
The Psychiatric Advice and Consultation Service is designed to help you manage patients that you have identified as having, or being at risk of, mental illness.
Use this service to get:
- Diagnostic clarification
- Medication optimisation
- Therapeutic management strategies
- Referral Pathways (including Mental Health Stepped Care services).
What to expect
- Telephone support from a psychiatrist and/or
- A psychiatric assessment where deemed necessary (for more unwell/complex patients):
- Onsite or remote patient consultation (between psychiatrist & patient)
- Followed by clinical discussion (between psychiatrist & GP)
- Professional development - group capacity building sessions with a psychiatrist can be arranged for your clinic.
Accessing the service
You can now get specialist psychiatric advice:
- Free of charge
- When you need
- Mon - Fri, 7am to 7pm (After hours, leave a message with your preferred call back time).
Call 0447 136 726
A clinician will collect your details and reason for your call.
Please obtain patient consent prior to your call.
You will be transferred to a psychiatrist or asked to nominate two times for a return call.
Obtain advice and support from a psychiatrist and if required, arrange a patient assessment.
A faxed Clinical Discussion Summary (ongoing care and management of the patient remains with the GP).
If the patient is assessed by a psychiatrist, they will contact you to discuss the assessment and management plan.